Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Bye Saba and Savta (um, for 12 days)


Alright, alright, I didn't blog yesterday. That's because
a) this blog is primarily for my daughter's grandparents (her apologies to all of her other admirers), and all of her grandparents were either present or spoken to yesterday, and
b) I was p-double o-stick a fork in me 'cause I'm done-pped POOPED!

Anyway.

Saba and Savta left tonight - bye bye! Of course, we'll be in NY on August 6, so it won't be too too long until we see you again.

Hmm, what else is new after so much time unblogged? Tochter continues to be yummy, and to prefer standing up, drooling on things and eating to most activities. Today we went to Yerushalaim and interviewed my daughter's metapelet (translation: lady who has a day care thingy in her home) elect. I am having tremendous issues, not with her, who comes SO highly recommended and seems lovely and warm, but with the whole concept of someone else spending all that time with my baby every day. Really, I think I'm just jealous of my friend in NY (you know who you are!) who has a lady come to her house, spend all day just with her kids, and of course cleans and does laundry, etc. Okay, fine, probably costs more than 1,000 shekel a month too... Yup, that's right. 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, and it costs me only 1,000 shekel, which is approximately $220, depending on the exchange rate, which, you got it, works out to about $1.30 per hour. That is hard to beat, gotta admit.

This metapelet works with her grown-up daughter, and together they have around 10 kids in their care. By American standards, it's a lot. On the other hand, they aren't all the same age, and as a result, all the children learn from each other. For example, the 1.5 year olds are playing together, the 2 year old brings the metapelet a diaper to change the 6 month old, the 2.5 year old whispers "shhh" because the 10 month old is sleeping, etc, etc. If you think of it as a couple of mothers and their five children each, it becomes much more reasonable. And as my friend (whose baby has been going there for a couple years about) says, the kids are all SO happy. They love it there.

Yoav was very comfortable with the metapelet and the space, and I don't doubt that she can keep it all going. And my baby would be the youngest there, which means if she cries (imagine!), she WILL get picked up. Period. And rocked and cuddled and the works. And it's close enough to my office that I could go nurse her on my lunchbreak. So... we'll see. These parenting decisions are rough stuff, ya know?

Anyway, had to post this picture of her from the hospital as a flashback. We often say to her, "remember when you were a baby?" She's getting so grown up! (Wish we were...)

3 comments:

Faye Berman said...

look how little she is there!
For your information, I applied for the birth registrar job, as well as about a billion others at this point...... sofar nothing. As far as the wheelchair goes, it is not really an option at this point. Thanks for the support tho. You are gonna try and call me from the states right?

Miriam the Mommy said...

uh, DUH! We'll shmooze!

Faye Berman said...

i look forward to it!