Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Catch us if you can

As my friend Brenda blogged recently, stop the ride cause I want to get off! Life has just been very.. full lately. Here's some of what's going on...

I had a company trip last week (or was it two weeks ago?) which involved a really neat "Dialogue With the Blind" exhibit, and a boat ride/bbq. The blind thing was a walk-through in total pitch darkness (with blind people canes), through an outdoor setting, a street, a house, a store - even the ubiquitous Israeli snack-bar-at-the-end-of-the-anything. You're led by an actual blind person ("Real live blind people!" on the flashing neon signs, no doubt, except we couldn't see them) and it's a real educational experience. We were most happily in segregated groups, happy since I didn't need to be groping my male coworkers in the dark, ya know? And then the boat ride out from Herzelia, which was lovely. I wore my old big floppy hat from sheva brachos, and got many, many comments on it. I won't repeat any of them here. Harumph. But I didn't get sunburnt either! Pay no attention to the beer bottle in hand of the guy behind me...

Here are a couple pictures we took right before Shavuos started of Abba and the Girl in Her Finery. I particularly like the shot that shows exactly what it's like to get the girl to pose for pictures these days. The dress is YUM (thanks Michelle!), it's all fitted like a gown and with a poofy skirt. Look at those arms - my daughter is SUCH a whitey...
Irish blood much? The skin on her arms, which are exposed to the sun, are the same color as my, um, well, unexposed to the sun skin.

Yoav buzzed the doc last week with the girl. She now weighs 8.8 kilo, which is just under 20 pounds. The doc is happy, we're happy... except I STILL can't turn around her car seat to forward facing - argh!! Maybe next time I should weigh her with lead in her diaper...

I went to a chinuch shiur (education class), focusing on ages 0-3. I even took a prop with me! Well, Yoav had to be in J-lem, and I couldn't find a babysitter... At least I made no obvious parental blunders during the shiur, and based on what she said, hey, I may not have scarred my daughter for life yet! Speaking of scarring...

Her two (!) teeth are fully in place now, it seems, albeit somewhat crooked. How's that orthodontics fund coming? I did my best to get ya'll a picture of the two little pearls. Ow. Sharp pearls.

She hasn't really taken many more steps since I last blogged. She's just not so into it. Whatever, she CAN do it, so if she chooses not to it doesn't bother me. She's wildfire on her walker though. And today when I picked her up from the metapelet, she was using a little kiddy chair as a walker. I came in... and she walked right by me. Thanks kiddo. I needed that. Thbbbt.

The weather is erratic, but getting hotter (supposed to be 33 degrees Celcius tomorrow in J-town, and I am WAY too tired to tell you anything more than that's HOT) (I think it's about 45 kilometers per hour, unless I converted the milliliters wrong... didn't carry the two...). I have a stupped ub node.

Work is busy busy busy, and today we interviewed two more potential underlings. It will be hard for me to manage men older than myself. And yet, I will crack my whip and do whatever it takes, darn it! We work hard for the money... And maybe they'll pick up my dry cleaning!

It's the end of the school year, so besides work being busy, all of Yoav's school jobs are rather busy too with finals and end of the year banquets and so on. Yoav just walked in, actually, home at 11:20 PM. A wee bit close to normal for my tastes.

Lastly, I'd like to publicly THANK GOD that once again, rather than apportioning a level of suffering in this world to us through health, etc, Hashem has smitten our car, and NOT us. By no fault of his own, when Yoav was driving yesterday the car spun out on the highway. Yoav recovered from the spin and the skid (I woulda been over the guard rail, God forbid) just in time for someone else to totally broadside him. Both airbags deploy. Car is rather smooshed. Car is totalled, actually. And Yoav is... fine. Not even a bruise. THANK YOU HASHEM!! And please, please send someone to tell us just WHAT the lesson is that we need to learn, cause we can't take much more of this (suffice to say, we've done this totalled car shtick before).

You know, being a busy mom type person, I don't have the same prayer obligations as a non-mother type person. Still, I try to daven at least one shmone esreh a day, if I can. When I can't, I have an informal "short tfila" which is basically a bit of praising God, a bit of asking for things, and a bit of thanking for things. Wow, do I have a lot to be thankful for.

We're alive. We have a home, a home in Israel (!). We're privledged to feel close to God. We're religious. We're gainfully employed. We're financially secure (well, close enough to it). We have a car, we have good toys (computers, digital cameras, etc), we have furniture. We have air conditioning.

We're healthy. We have each other. We have the most amazing precious precocious gift of a princess that there ever was. QED, we have it all. Bli ayin hara.

Thank you Hashem!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you think Hashem goes on the internet?-tzip

Yitz/Yaffa said...

Very nice post. So sorry to hear about your car (yikes to that story!). May you continue to have all that to be thankful for, and then some!

Faye Berman said...

ok, all I can say is WOW!!!!

bilha said...

wow, i'm glad to hear that yoav is okay. i really enjoyed the post. when are you guys coming to visit ky? we miss you!

brenderan said...

thanks for mentioning my blog (which I need to attend to) - it does seem to be more than apropo for your life too. Guess that's just part and parcel of raising a child, hence the lessened obligatory prayers.
Glad Yoav is ok B"H and that the only damage is to a metal machine. So its a little incovenient, but at least you have decent alternative transportation.

brenda said...

And I want to hear more about that blind exhibit thing. Was it through an agency or the Marshall Center at the gates of J-town? Eran was VERY involved in blind/VI stuff in Israel and we want to stay on top of it...

Miriam the Mommy said...

Oh, taka, I always forget Eran is blindish...

It was in Holon, I think part of the children's museum there, near what looks like either a random lost manmade canal or a fishfarm.

I'm sure that helps!

Google "dialogue and blind" in hebrew (I don't have Hebrew on this machine) and you ought to find it.

brenda said...

You forget, I forget, it is such a compliment - he just overcomes that little adversity so well you don't even notice - unless he's really tired!

I forgot to mention how nice everyone looked in their finery - tulle petticoats look so pretty on little girls!

BTW - we survived the New Orleans family wedding only slightly worse for wear! I hope to blog about it soon :)

socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Thanks for the update on your very busy life, cute pics especially the pic of you with that funky hat.

Naomi said...

cars are very replaceable - just keeping saying B"H that Yoav is okay and lots of "poo poo poos"!

Daniella said...

Wow - B"H happy to hear Yoav is fine. The bubah looks great and cute as anything!