Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Car hunter's notebook

I am blogging this for
a) myself
b) all of you who care more about my car hunt than reading old posts about my daughter's bodily functions

We're now looking at new cars (gasp, ack, visions of dollar signs flying out of our wallets evoking Archie comics, but I digress), so here's the short-list:

Toyota Corolla: We haven't been able to get a test drive yet, and just finished reading a review that discusses the new 'robotic' transmission, which is like an automatic shift that keeps all the annoying parts of a stick (sans clutch). Like if you park and don't put on the hand brake you roll back, that kind of thing. The reviewer was NOT impressed - we'll see if we are.
Honda Civic: Okay, this one we couldn't buy new, would have to buy used. We already know it's great, just our amazing mechanic is on the other side of J-town from where we work, so it would be easier to get another brand, not to mention better to buy new. So onto the...
Mazda 3: I balked, I don't adore it, too sporty, not cozy, but Yoav is favoring it, I think. But who wants to drive the same car as everyone else? Which brings me to the...
Nissan Note: This one isn't sold in the US, but I've read rave UK reviews about it. It's kind of a mini-minivan. Of course, Yoav just finished reading an Israeli review of it that liked it better than its Honda competitor (the Jazz) but otherwise said other cars would suit better. Yoav has a test drive of it tomorrow. One car the review said would be better is the...
Ford Focus: I'm also resisting this one, although it has the advantage that the 5 door is the same price as the four door. Rave UK reviews, excellent Israeli reviews - and several people who have told me they know someone who knows someone who hates it and the engine is blah and the brakes have a nasty habit of failing. Aha.

The Corolla, 3, Focus and Note are all about the same price for the basic model (meaning we don't get things like automatic windows in the back seat... That's right, Sarah Rochel, just keep turning it and you'll get some air...). The Civic is more, as aforementioned. The Note appeals to my desire to have a Different Car. Although, as this process stretches on (and we keep paying for our loaner car) I'm ready to shoelace two skateboards together, add a lawn mower motor and wear the baby in a backpack. We'll add an umbrella for rain days. And for the sunshine, check out this stylish chapeau given to the girl by Uncle Micah:

She LOVES it, wears it all the time. Yum!

And now, a reward to those of you who kept reading: new stuff on my daughter's bodily functions! Specifically, today when she pooped (both times) at the metapelet's house, she went over to the metapelet and said, clearly, "Mommy [aside: grrr], cahky!"

Now, let me say I HATE, I LOATHE, I SQUIRM at that particular euphemism for poop ('poop' is, of course, the proper scientific term), but it's the one the metapelet uses. We push the term poop, so I'm not worried, but hey - how about that self-awareness?? That's my girl! And yet, we can so wait on toilet training... at least until we get a car...

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

HAHA! I had to keep myself from laughing out loud at the thought of baby SR rolling down a window in the back seat! And the thought of you on a skatemowermobile (you like that?) with SR in tow! Love the new hat; it's good to know there are fans all over the world! Go 'Stros!

socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Good luck with the car, poop is the correct term I would know, if you need help let me know I am the expert I tried everything.

Stewart (Chuck Norris) said...

Our hosts in J-town have a Ford Focus (4-dr) and they love it. We'll be using it to get to Eilat next Tuesday. The Saturn is ready and we'll pick it up when we get back to Houston. Marie and I will try to call you before Shabbos.

Faye Berman said...

I vote Corolla, I love mine. I think SR looks adorable in her Astros hat, and I can see the family resemblance to Uncle Micah. Good luck with the car hunting.

Ola said...

Well written article.