Friday, September 21, 2007

Gmar chasima tova!


Caption: I know they're fanatically religious, but oh I hope they don't make ME fast on Yom Kippur! Of course, I've been living on milk again lately, so it's not like it would be a huge difference...

Never fear, tochterbean. We just bought her a puzzle, a toy broom (she loved one at our friends' house) and a toy stroller (ditto). I think she'll enjoy Yom Kippur JUST fine!

Actually, I spoke with Rabbi Nissel earlier today, about what my obligations were for Yom Kippur in terms of davening, since I am (B"H!) at the part of my life now that I don't get to spend all day in shul (indeed, I am not planning on going to shul at all). So we discussed what to do (i.e. say all the shmone esres, don't need to say vidui in chazaras hashatz, you can pick up a crying baby during vidui since it's after s"e technically ended even though your feet are still together, etc), but he also mentioned that he saw a letter from R'Pincus addressed to women who feel bad that they have to stay home with small children on Y"K, as opposed to going to shul, that they're saying "Itsy Bitsy Spider" when their husbands are saying "Hashem Hu Elokim." He points out that staying home is EXACTLY what the women are supposed to be doing - that is their service of Hashem - and if in all that they manage to give one little krechtz of tshuva, of begging Hashem for forgiveness - then that is worth more than all their husband's fancy wordwork at shul.

Gmar tov and chamisa tova to all of you, all of us, and everyone!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks-Ireally needed to hear that! Have a Gmar Chasima Tova eveb though it's already Yom Kippur 4 u...

Anonymous said...

O by the way its me Elke who left u that message

Yitz/Yaffa said...

Thanks for that. It was nice to read even after Y"K. Hope your fast was okay. -Yaffa

nechama gorf said...

estee yarmish says (about women staying home on r"h):
"my husband's at shul being mamlich Hashem and I'm at home building His kingdom"

Anonymous said...

I just heard an amazing tznius shiur about "what would u wear to hold a sefer torah"? because everytime someone holds a baby, that's what they're doing! Hope you had an easy fast, Gmar Tov, Bracha B.

Yitz/Yaffa said...

I liked it again this year...though, again, didn't see it until after Y"K. Hope you're feeling well.