Monday, October 29, 2007

Milestones 5,463 and up

She's done this before (here most noteably, look at October 2006), had a week of huge developmental leaps and bounds. Now this is less 'huge developmental change' like starting to walk or talk, but she's leaping into her autonomy.

- She's still putting herself to sleep, going through the bedtime routine until she says "cribby!" and then she lays down and babbles, etc, until she falls asleep."No Mommy, I don't need you for this." So proud, but...!!!

- After a friend (thanks RL) opened my eyes to the fact that she's old enough to learn to wait for me on the OTHER side of the bathroom door, I've been keeping her out. Last night she just came and knocked on the door, and started talking to me. "I know you're in there, Mommy," she meant, "and I'm going to play here happily until you come out. I will now make cute noises," and she did.

- Last night in the tubby, she asks for some soap. So I dispensed some liquid soap into her hand - and she starts washing herself! Okay, so she kept asking for more, and she only tried to taste it twice, but she scrubbed her little knees and tushy and tummy - and then I put some in her hair, and she was a veritable "I'm going to wash that man right out of my hair" video... except, of course, she doesn't have enough hair to hide a man in.

- Which brings up the other "big kid" point from last week, but fortunately Mama Nechy combed out Sarah Rochel's hair, and there haven't been any other critters in there since, althought we are daily combing (with our 59 shekel 'Assy 2000' lice comb) and treating with rosemary oil as well. I really could have waited on THAT milestone, ya know?

She's just amazing, and I just adore her.

I'm at work now - back to paying attention to my staff meeting.

9 comments:

Shira said...

Funny, I never felt compelled to do anything extraneous during those meetings. I always found them scintillating.

Anonymous said...

so rebbetzin spetner said you have to go out of your way to conform to israeli society, even if its not something normal for americans, its our job to conform to them because theyre not changing for us. for more details, youll have to talk to me in person.
i have a picture to send you from the shabbaton, should i email it to your husband?
-nechama gorf

Miriam the Mommy said...

Sure Gorflach, send it along, or direct to me, whatever.

Faye said...

I am told that olive oil works to keep the critters away as well (apparently the do not hold with the Mediterranean style of food!) Thanks for the recent comments to my blog, I am feeling all accomplished, and have completed another scarf, and am well on my way to finishing a third (variegated purple with a scalloped trim). NEH!

Bilha said...

We use a shampoo and conditioner that come in a set and are healthy (no chemicals). It's by a company called Moraz and it's called Kincare. Works very well but I have to say that B"H we've only needed to use it once. Other things that keep lice away, tea tree oil, doche kinim (that's hebrew for keeps lice away), and Hawaii's kids shampoo and conditioner with Rosemary in it. Good luck!

Mordechai Y. Scher said...

Combing the hair for lice, now THAT makes me homesick! ;-P

Gotta watch mentioning that one to some Hutz La'aretz grandparents. My first visit back to the States, I mentioned in the car from NY to CT that I had lice while on kibbutz. My poor mother completely freaked out at the thought, and couldn't wait to get me out of the car (I don't recall my Dad being so upset). She made me strip down in the garage before entering the house...

Miriam and Yoav, I can't tell you what a mitzvah your blog is, and how much nachas you're providing for family and friends!

Anonymous said...

What words... super, excellent idea

Anonymous said...

I will not agree on it. I assume precise post. Particularly the appellation attracted me to read the unscathed story.

Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.