Monday, December 17, 2007

Ah, the Druyanity of it all...

Okay, it's now 9:58 PM. I am stopping to blog at 11, so let's see how much we can catch up!



As no doubt most of you have surmised, what with my parents being here and Yoav's parents coming, I haven't been blogging so much, partially because I'm busy, and partially because heck, I write this thing mostly for them, you know? But I'll try to cover all the ground I missed..

So my parents came, and yes, I'm going to say it again, I-told-you-so that between photographs and phone calls SR definitely did NOT forget who Bubby and Zayde were! Totally delicious. She enjoyed their visit IMMENSELY, as did Yoav and myself. And SR was pronouncing Zayde perfectly by the end of the trip, as you can see on this video (wait for it):


We didn't get as much touring done as we might of, since alas, I still had to work some of the time, and my father got a bit of a cold (thanks for sharing, Tattie), and my mother, alas, fell prey to the same Virus of Doom that I had in the last post. And Yoav tonight just started running a fever, so basically we're well into Winter Health Season over here. I MUST get around to getting our flu shots...

But I digressed. So besides MiniIsrael as previously blogged, we went... um... I think we hit one grocery store or another 5 times in 48 hours, which is talented, I know. We (my parents and inlaws, since the latter had already arrived) ate out one night at my favorite fish restaurant over a gas station, and went out thereafter to see my old schoolmate Avi Lieberman who was part of a fundraising comedy show. Yoav had to go teach and so missed the comedy part of the evening, which was perhaps best, because between the 4 imported American comedians it was fairly inevitable that someone would have a mildly off color joke... or a rampantly rainbow plaid off color joke...

Did I mention all the grocery stores?

One afternoon we went to the kinda-local Monkey Park, where we discovered that liking monkeys in books is a very different thing than liking them in person, even in cages. But since there were ample parents and grandparents for Tochs to have a death grip on, we enjoyed our visit.

Back at home, we also had all kinds of general fun with the girl, of course, who has not (after all) forgotten about Abba Birthday, but indeed can now tell you that "Abba birthday ishrei (Tishrei), Mommy birthday Iyar" and of course, "Rochel birthday Adar." Not too shabby, kiddo. And incidentally accurate.

Yesterday, the last day my parents were here, I played hooky from work and we Sightsaw, darn it, so we could pretend we had done more than hang around feeling ill and occasionally going to the grocery store (to be fair, we hit the pharmacies a fair amount as well). We ended up in Aderet where we did exciting things like driving around and taking pictures at a panoramic view, which happened to be in a construction site.

I mentioned last time that the girl is the Queen of Stall when it comes to bedtime lately (last night with Yoav: "Hot dog! High chair! Book! Tissue! Open! OPEN!" (the last there directed at the door). Well, she's not just cute about her bedtime, I'm afraid. A few nights ago when she was in full 'I do NOT want to go to bed!' hysterics, she managed to fling her top-heavy self right over the side of her crib. B"H that Yoav was standing there and caught half of her, and the debris on her floor (in this case, an old suitcase) caught the other half. Okay, scary but fine, we thought. Isolated incident, right?

And then last night, when she wasn't hysterical but she wouldn't stop crying, Yoav walks into her room to find her with one leg over the side of the crib. Oooh. Double plus uncool. I was at a play practice, but when I come home I find the two of them asleep, Yoav's head next to the girl's, on the crib mattress which has been removed to the floor. I wake up Yoav, put a few extra pillows around, and anticipate that the girl WILL wake up during the night. When I checked on her at midnight, she was already 90 degrees turned, as shown, and indeed at 2 AM, she woke up and I found her standing on the floor, totally confused. I then woke Yoav, who replaced the crib mattress, she went back to sleep and all was well.

But it brings up the point that she may need to get out of the crib. She may just be big enough to climb out and small enough not to do it safely. So we're looking into beds and toddler beds and really large sized Tupperware (just kidding! Maybe!) and perhaps taking my wise mother's suggestion and just buying a shorter mattress. Tonight the girl was sat by Saba and Savta, and she fell asleep in the car thereafter, so she transferred smoothly to the crib. Whew!

Strike that. She just woke up and asked for "Mommy singing" in order to go back to sleep. Okay, I can live with that. Sing sing sing, rock rock rock, and she's back in bed.

Today in the car she made me listen to the first song from 'Shlock Rock Almost on Broadway' about 12 times in a row ("gain" she says, from her throne in the backseat. "Soup challah kiddush," she demands). So we listen to the Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious parody, "Soup and challah candlesticks kiddush it is delicious" over... and over... Good thing we love Lenny!

I had to take her with me to play practice the other day. I was holding her, and while I'm practicing my solo, she starts clopping my mouth with her hand and saying, "Mommy no singing!" Well, thank you very much.

The play is selling out nicely (they are thinking of adding an EIGTH show, oh heavens) so feel free to buy your tickets now. Yes, I mean you.

That's actually all that comes to mind now to blog, and hey, it's only 10:45 at night! So here's what you actually came for - pictures!


Out on the tundra of Ateret (okay, it looks like a frozen wasteland, but it was just a grey day combined with white rubble).



And the weather changed again, and it was a sunny day! Zayde and SR (hmm, Zayde is SR too... well, both of them then) played out back while Bubby recovered.

And now, Monkey Park pictures:

Um, are they gone yet? Is it safe to smile?






No baboon! No baboon!"

We finally fit into our Astros warm up suit, courtesy of Uncle Micah:

Note that we also preferred to play in the suitcase over playing with the items brought therein. Big shock.




Sarah Rochel invited Zayde to her tent.


And she invited herself (and Abba) into Zayde's trunk! This was actually her favorite part of the Monkey Park trip.


Here are three generations being amused by reading the phone book (see previous blog entry).



My dad has been wanting to do this for a long time. Note the comparison between the girl in the chair right after we bought it, and this current shot. Shoot. Who's been feeding my little monkey?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Miriam, the videos are delish!
Elke

tzipporah said...

haha Rabbi Druyan and SR in a trunk cracked me up

Faye said...

Wow that was a lot of blogging! SR is adorable. Ejoy your vist with the Saba and Savta.

Adina said...

It's been a long while since we spoke, but HI!!!
Um, regarding the crib/bed issue - does your crib turn into a toddler bed? We were able to remove the 4th side of the crib, and install a bar instead so when Debbie climbed out of bed, it was just a short fall to the floor rather than over the crib railing.

brenda said...

We missed your blogginess lately, but better to be out living life than to be blogging about it (or sick with the viral yuck!)
Wasn't it just yesterday that you were pushing SR around in a big stroller, and now she prefers to walk or push herself about on plastic trikes...where has the time gone?

Miriam the Mommy said...

Alas, our crib doesn't do anything but be a crib. But so far she hasn't tried again... we'll see!

And yes, I don't know what business she has making sentences and doing anything but eating, sleeping and pooping.... but then again, some days it feels like she was born about four years ago, so maybe...

Debbie Firestone said...

Im sorry. I still hold that your father looks like HaRav Sharfman at first glance. I think its the salt n pepper beard.

Yitz/Yaffa said...

This was a wonderful post. Sometimes taking a break from blogging can be inspirational and refreshing. Sometimes it can lead to anxiety about having to post next, as in my case. But, clearly, for you it was inspirational. I am quite impressed that Rabbi Yoav (what's left of him) and Sarah Rochel fit into that trunk together. Keep up the great blog!

Mordechai Y. Scher said...

Shalom Aleichem!

Great photos of your folks. Okay, I like seeing you and Yoav as abba and imma, too. ;-)

Mazal Tov on reaching the 'I want out of this crib in the middle of the night' stage. Used to scare the hmmm...whatever out of me. But hey, both kids survived,and th deformities to the skull cover up nicely when the hair grows long. :-P

Regards to you all!

mordechai y. scher