Sunday, February 24, 2008

ABC

Sarah Rochel has been singing the ABCs constantly for a while now, getting more and more accurate every day, and now with a pretty solid "Now I know BCs, next won't sing meeee!!" following after it. And so in honor of her acheivments (Uncle Micah is also teaching her to count to twenty, resulting in some creative math, "...TEN, tuh, thirteen, fourteen, TWENIE!"), we would like to present this ABC blog (or as much of it as I get to before I need to go to sleep).

A hotel: We were at a hotel in Teveria this past shabbos, which is a nice haimish place (they serve ptcha!) for the Hatzola Beit Shemesh shabbaton. It was very nice, except for the major-league sketchiness of them tearing the place apart Saturday night. Really. The hotel is a little old and we were glad to hear they were starting renovations - but they started them the minute shabbos was over! I'm sure it will be lovely when it's over, but it was a little sketchy having to carry the girl out at 9 PM through a darkened, debris-strewn construction site.

B is for Bum Genius, which is my new favorite diaper. I did finally bite the bullet and buy my girl a couple of cloth diapers from this store, The Stork Warehouse, and I am happily not disappointed. They are comfortable to her ("special di-per!"), a cinch to dump in the washing machine and dryer (note: I must confess, I haven't had an, ahem, 'dirty' one yet), and while I anticipated I'd like the all-in-one better, the 'pocket' style of the Bum Genius one (wherein you slip a thick microfiber cloth in a pocket of outer waterproof polyester and inner stay-dry magic fabric stuff) keeps a dry layer next to her skin, although it did slightly leak when used overnight after a high-drinking evening. But then again, disposables do that too. If I had a wad of capital, I would probably invest in a whole lot more of them. And WHY do I have no capital? (Well, lots of reasons, but only one starts with...)

D, the abyssmal dollar rate. When the dollar rate was at 5.2, or heck, even 4.5, I really enjoyed getting paid in dollars. Now that it hovers around 3.5, yanno, it's a little financially cozy in here. (Good thing that due to shmitta, next year we can get a really cheap...)

Esrog, which for some reason my daughter is really into now. Today she was blowing the shofar AND holding the esrog simultaneously. Cute stuff. She also insisted on holding the lulav, which is what you see here. This was before bedtime the other day, which may or may not have been accompanied by a...

Freak attack, of which we've seen feveral lately, specifically at bedtime. Tonight was the "Abbadaba" freak out, wherein Mommy is good enough for pajamas and books etc, but once she starts saying shema, forget it, we ONLY want Abba, and woe to those who try to stop me. Fortunately he came home and put her to bed within about 5 minutes. Sigh. I'd be hurt except she plays this game both ways. Not always - in fact, in the hotel she went to sleep beautifully, laying next to me on the bed, and during nap time she didn't sleep, but she DID let us do so! - but this happens enough that we have a label for it.

Gefilte fish was one of the only things she ate over shabbos, which is fine, fairly nutritious, but we could go for some more variety.

H is how sorry I am that I'm going to be skipping letters here, but I went to sleep last night at 2 AM only to get up at 6:30 (well, to wake up then, but I didn't get up until at least 7, because I was busy kvetching about having to get up), and I am just running outa steam, you know?

Sarah Rochel is a GOOD Mommy to my, I mean, um, her Cabbage Patch Kid (still affectionately known as 'Baby'). On the drive up north she was showing the baby the birds and giving her the dregs of her bawkle and helping her to fall asleep by swaddling her face in a heavy cloth. It was rather tender. And more importantly, she SHARED nicely at the hotel when known and unknown children would 'borrow' the baby and or the baby's stroller. Since it did several rolls in the parking lot, I am tempted to chuck Baby into the washing machine...

"Peanut butter spoon" is an Official BMA Snack at casa Druyan, so if anyone else feels like one, come on down.

Stools: No, not poop, ya sicko, rather we assembled our new bar stools from Ikea, and we shoulda gotten three, since the Toch tends to appropriate one. She sits up "so high" really nicely, actually, and loves to eat watching herself in the mirror. She also likes to color, actually preferring to use a pen as opposed to crayon, and to scribble on printed material rather than blank paper. This means something!

Uncle Micah is starting to feel a bit unwell, summed up by Sroch's eloquent diagnosis, "Micah sick." He has been dosed heavily with vitamin C candy and hot dogs, and will hopefully feel better in the morning.

We got new vitamins for Her Highness, which are chocolate-based. We tasted one, and it tastes like decent chocolate chips that had a nasty run in with a Centrum bottle or something. Whatever, she loves them, they are nutritionally (hah! They're chocolate!) complete, we move on.

We love the letter w, but besides that, we're really willing to eat cucumbers these days, with chumus. LOTS of chumus. We like eating chumus on a spoon second only to eating peanut butter on a spoon.

Youth is what I clearly do NOT have, because not only am I stopping this now, but I can't immediately remember which letters of the alphabet I've skipped!... Definitely Montana, but possibly also Wyoming. Unless it was Grover Cleveland?

I have just one more thing to say to that. "Mommy tired. Mommy no sleep! Shhhh... Mommy sleeping. Mommy? Mommy? Mommy? No sleeping!"




PS Have the fonts on this blog gone all wonky for you too, or just on my computer at work?

1 comment:

Yitz/Yaffa said...

RE: Your P.S.
Blogger fonts have definitely changed on my computer too. I notice the same in my blog. When I type it in Blogger, it looks one way, but once I publish, it looks entirely different. I wonder why?