Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Bedtimes have I loved

Her Highness didn't nap today, and don't those days make for the easiest bedtimes? (Well, excepting the no-nap-overtired-kvetchies.) At 7:30 we were in the bath, at 7:50 we were out, and at 8:15 she fell asleep while I was reading the first page of 'Horton Hears a Who' (pop-up version). Yay!

First seder on Pesach we had, besides 4 grandparents, one uncle and two cousins (three if you count their almost-1 year old, who ate more in a day than my daughter eats in a week), our friends the Gordons with their brood, and a handful of seminary girls. Anticipating that some of the brood might want to go to sleep (note: only the 7 month old did), we stuck a mattress on the floor of SR's room.

Let me say here before I go any further that Sarah Rochel acquitted herself BEAUTIFULLY at the seder, saying the first Mah Nishtana with only minimal bribery and staying up and playing nicely with the other children... until everyone left... at 3 AM. Now THAT was a bedtime, best described as me holding my daughter very tightly while she kicked and thrashed and screamed bloody homicide until she passed out. As I told Yoav then, after that he owed me a WEEK's worth of bedtimes.

So after that first night, SR wanted to sleep on the bed instead of the crib. She's gone back and forth quite a bit (usually in the course of one bedtime - that is, she'll go quietly to bed in one of them, then five minutes later call you back in her room to put her in the other one, and so on), but all in all she's mostly been sleeping on the bed since Pesach.

Undoubtedly due to that fairly major change, to say nothing of all the disruptions to routine that having four grandparents around blissfully provides, bedtime has become... challenging. Lots of stalling, including asking for more books and more songs and matza in bed (I kid you not). Lots of tossing and turning, although that's definitely getting used to not having bars to snuggle up against. Lots of coming out of the bed and standing by the door crying, or even on occasion, giggling. We're having to do a lot of stern "It's bedtime now and you have to stay in your bed" type statements. And despite being only two, she completely and utterly understands what we're saying. She just doesn't like it. Yoav is better at putting her to bed than I, so I try to give him as many opportunities as possible. I'm just a supportive wife that way.

Naptime, though... I don't know how to put her down for a nap, which is pathetic, but she grew out of what used to work, and in our normal weekly routine she either naps at the metapelet or naps in the car coming home. So Fridays and shabbos I'm like lost. Again, Yoav does better than I here. When I try to get her down for a nap she usually ends up scampering out of the room in full tilt giggle.

Back to Pesach, we did of course make two (three) days of yuntiv for all our guests, and SR can't understand the difference. So during the second seder (which wasn't yuntiv for us of course) when I tried to get her to take a bath, she said, "No bathtime - shabbos!" Silly mommy. Had to let her win that one.

Speaking of which, B"H the bathtime ablutophobia DID subside, hurray hurray, and she loves the tubby more than ever, to the point of in the last week or so often ASKING for bathtime to begin already.

Right - Pesach. Needless to say, we couldn't have done it without my holy mother, who came in so early to help. You know when you think it's all under control, and you're on schedule, and gosh, how complicated could it be anyway? Ha ha ha! My mother and my husband worked themselves to the bone, but it DID all get done (except for those three Cheerios we found on chol hamoed, but they were nasty and old and had probably had cleaning fluid on them and now we know we have to check on top of the support beams under the table. Thanks Princess!). We survived the "we're out of matza two days before Pesach" crisis (fortunately, that merchant was hardly the only one in town), we had plenty of food (mad props to my dad for peeling eight million tiny sweet potatoes, and further props to my inlaws for smuggling American mayonnaise into the country), the walnut oil didn't kill anyone, neither did the maror (fresh!), I made charoset for the first time and hated it (but other people said it was good), and a merry time was had by all.

Chol hamoed we got around a bit, but not too much. We went to the local Stalactite Cave, already referred to by my daughter. Her favorite part of the entire thing was the turtle my mother found in the grass on the way to the parking lot. It was waving at her, as she will tell you very repeatedly. We went to Tel Aviv one day seeking indoor entertainment (that was after it had progressed from 'need a sweater weather' to 'find a way to remove your skin it's so hot' weather, all in a couple days!), and we went to the Diaspora Museum. Once in Tel Aviv we planned to go to some botanical garden or something, but on a whim we called to see if El Gaucho in Ramat Gan was kosher lepesach.. and it was! So we all went and ate a great deal of dead cow, although I predictably favored the chicken.

We didn't DO much else - went to Yerushalaim a few times, went to the kosel. SR went to the park with various grandparents a great deal, went to see Savta Raba with Savta a couple times. Yoav and my dad went on a little tiyul with Rabbi Scher (remember him, oh Houstonian readers?). And we cooked. And ate. And ate. And did I mention food? And does anyone need any leftover matza? There's a limit how much my daughter can munch in bed.

Okay, that's my hour (hmm, two) of blogging for now. I am doing another Google slideshow for the pics. I highly recommend you actually go and look at the album, since it will have gratuitous captions, and I know reading about my daughter's toothbrushing is far more important than your jobs, laundry, dishes, personal hygiene, sleep, whatever it is you're missing to read the chronicles of Princess Sarah Rochel Druyan.

5 comments:

Rabbi Yoav Druyan said...

Wow - a full and complete chronicle ! Special shout out to all the wonderful guests who came and helped out and did a ton even though you are not related ! We sort of think of you as family anyway, ya' know !!

Mordechai Y. Scher said...

Shalom Aleichem!

While I was sorry not to spend time with the rest of the family, I want to say that Rabbi Y. Druyan is a GREAT tiyul partner. I hope that Hashem will bless us with other such opportunities. Maybe something a little more far out, like Midbar Yehuda? Same goes for Dr. Rosenblatt!

Leonard said...

I missed a picture of the "turtle."

Faye said...

hmm, did yur husband just say "shout out"? N E way it sounds like you had a lovely time. THe matza in bed kinda scares me a little, cause isn't that scratchy? Good luck with the nap thing.

Shira said...

Thanks for your comment! I've missed you too.(though I've been so busy inhaling exotic fruit, I barely noticed) No fame and fortune yet- patience, patience. We'll have to meet sometime- though preferably not in shaarei tzedek. I wonder if your princess conferred with my youngest prince. The whole of pesach we went to sleep every nite in our stroller! Perhaps to sleep......