Friday, October 03, 2008

Shana tova!

Well, we really shoulda blogged before Rosh Hashana to say shana tova to you all, but... um... things get busy, ya know? The year is still new, so indeed, Shana Tova to you all, and gmar chasima tova - may your good inscription for this year be signed, sealed, delivered, amen!

Now that Rosh Hashana is over, I asked the girl if Morah Shoshana taught her about Yom Kippur yet.
"Yess. Yom Kippur is coming."
"That's right, it is!"
"Yom Kippur is coming to Morah Shoshana's house."
"Oh."

Sarah Rochel was VERY good over Rosh Hashana. She was properly brainwashed into how QUIET she was going to be in shul to hear the shofar - and indeed, multiple lollipops notwithstanding, she indeed was very good and quiet. So I didn't need to go back in the afternoons for the 'women's' shofar blowings, which made for a less stressed afternoon schedule. We really had a very nice yuntiv, with guests we're very fond of and yummy food. Yoav even ventured out to Moshav Zanoach (!) to daven for the amud at the yeshiva there (where he teaches) and was back a little after 2 PM - not too shabby. And Sarah Rochel especially enjoyed the 'seeds' (pomegranate) and she likes dates too - who knew?

Especially delightful was the meal we ate at the Rosenberg's house, where SR declined to eat anything with her father or myself... and then let an 8 year old feed her a whole plate of rice and shnitzel. Thanks, kiddo. The important thing is she DID eat.

I had kinda figured that by now (we're officially 2 and a half! And she'll tell you so, too!) we wouldn't be still so focused on getting enough calories into her. And we're not... well, not TOO bad. But we still haven't really emphasized some eating manners that we'd otherwise want to push, because we're just so happy when she EATS. So last night when she wanted to have me put chicken in her mouth as she reclined on a pillow next to my chair... well, I didn't like it... but I did it, because she was eating. When she chooses to sit at the table, she eats beautifully, so I can't complain too much.

Anyway, it's a new year now, one in which many things will IY"H be changing. Sarah Rochel's favorite topic is after sukkos, when...

1) Bubbie and Zayde are coming
2) Saba and Savta are buying her a tricyle
and
3) her baby is coming out of Mommy's tummy (beshaah tova!)

That's right - we're in our ninth month now, bli ayin hara, and Sarah Rochel is quite the excited impending big sister. She's already talking about 'her' baby sleeping in her crib (she brought that up, not us, whew!), about her preferences for a little sister and not a brother (you recall the 'baby boys are icky' statement), and lots of other fun things. For example, "When I get very tall I am going to grow a big tummy and have a baby inside." And putting her face very close to my stomach, "We no bite the baby, right?" RIGHT kiddo - dontcha forget it.

And remember that little girl she was fighting with a couple posts ago? "Mommy, when the baby comes out, it will be MY baby, not hers, right?"

So anyway, surprise surprise to all of you who didn't know. Thank God I've been feeling pretty well, although I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't anxious about fasting on Yom Kippur next week... and that pales in comparison to my total Lack of A Clue as to what my life is going to be like with TWO rug runners. But we are drenched in gratitude and awe and adoration of Hashem for giving us the bracha of another pregnancy so 'soon' after the first (when you wait many years for one child to be born, having any kind of wait that is less than the first is especially special). Please God this child will be born at the right time (even if that's when, gulp, my mother isn't in town!), a healthy child, a healthy birth and a long healthy life of Torah and mitzvos - amen!

To that end, ya'll please feel free to daven for Miriam Esther bas Rus. And ditto to that end, please forward me names of people to daven for who are still waiting for this particular bracha to come into their lives as well - labor is considered an eepecially effacious time to pray for those who want children.

We will of course keep you posted on impending events, beshaah tova!

I enjoyed especially the dream I had last night (well, between 5 and 6 AM - we sure do wake up a lot these nights...). Last night I was feeling ESPECIALLY pregnant, like so pregnant that there was no room left for me anymore, you know? So anyway, I dreamt that I went to the doctor, and as soon as I got on the table an image of the baby came up on the screen, like I was SO pregnant that the sensor (I guess the ultrasound sensor) was six feet away and it STILL picked up a picture of the baby.

So the baby was on the screen, a full color view, nice white background... it was a dream, okay? So I cooed at the picture for a few minutes, used MY camera to take a few pictures of the picture... and then they handed me the baby! (Aside: when I was pregnant with Sarah Rochel, I had a dream where we went to the hospital for a day and they took her out of my stomach so we could play for a bit in the special sanitary playground they had there - we played for a while, then they popped her back in and I went home. Nice, right?) The baby was all hunched over and newborn-y, and I covered it in warm blankets and the baby said, "Thank you, that feels much better now." And THEN we all went outside to play. But sorry, no hint as to gender, because outside FIRST the kid was dressed in a black hat, white shirt, white pants... and then a while later, we changed it into a wig (!) and a dress! And all the while the kid is talking up a storm, fully fluently babbling away - much like the Tochterbean we have now. This kid actually looked like SR but with darker hair, a slightly differently shaped face, and a deeper voice. Hmmm!! This MEANS something!

When I woke up, I was so happy I got to spend some time playing with the baby. Unspoken fear, that - that this kid ain't going to get nearly as much direct Mommy play time as Sarah Rochel. And yes, this kid is going to have an older sibling, please God, something that Sarah Rochel would ADORE to have.

Anyway, that's the news. Her Highness (yes, I am concerned about thinking of other royal titles for the next kid) is napping, so I should be busy doing something incompatible with an awake toddler, like running with scissors or something. Have a great shabbos, gmar chasima tova to you all, and a good gebentched yor.


It rained a couple (brief) times last week. How convenient - if we're caught out in a shower, Sroch can stay dry!





With the current schedule, most of the time Abba gets Srochel dressed. Which is fine. But hmm, maybe we're not ready for white shirts just yet...



And when did the 80's come back? Patent leather shoes with turquoise socks, forsooth! Like her shoes, by the way? We foolishly went shoe shopping on erev yuntiv. Remind me NOT to do that again. But she likes them AND they were on sale AND we escaped from the store without any visible wounds.

.

5 comments:

babybean said...

So will the new Druyan get his/her own blog or will SR have to share the spotlight? Hehe. My friend Susan is due any day now too. Pray for her. Her baby will be born with only one kidney and at the last ultrasound they saw that it was swollen.

bilha said...

Miriam, b'shaa tova! We're so excited for you. How are you doing? I'm not sure exactly when you're due but I'm also in my ninth and I'm due in about a week. I'm also worried about the chagim and all that but so far we've survived Rosh Hashana and Shabbos. Yom Kippur however is a different story. Make sure to drink TONS before the fast and eat stuff like spaghetti before also. Worst case scenario we'll be roomies in Shaarei Tzedek. j/k Take care of yourself and rest up as much as possible. Can't wait to hear the great news. Be in touch.

Debbie Firestone said...

WHAAAAT!!!!!!!!! HOW did you hide this from faithful blog readers for so long???? WHAAAAT!!!!!! good thing I'm sitting. whoo. Miriam I am SO HAPPY for you!!! and that kid whoa can I be your kid too it would be so awesome to have you as a mommy (not that I dont love my mommy! end disclaimer!) OK well may it be a year of health and happiness and baaaaaaabies (mine too by the by!! February IYH!) and alll goood things.
gmar chasima tovah
Debbie

Mordechai Y. Scher said...

Shanah Tovah!

Yoav is teaching on Moshav Zanoah? One of our local kids is learning out your way; I wonder if it is the same place.

G'mar Hatima tovah!

Mordechai Y. Scher said...

I can't believe I skipped right through the important part of this post!

B'shaah tovah! What excellent news to look forward to in the new year!