Sunday, December 14, 2008

Projection, extrapolation, and other -tions - Part II

So I went back in there, and she actually nursed a bit (yay!) and went back into her bassinet all drowsy and (ha!) well fed, and I think she's down now.

Another thing I know, I know better is to not compare the Sroch and the Shlam - but it's so automatic. Ditto to place them into roles. As in, "Sarah Rochel is my bad eater - Shulamis is my good one," (well, until today!) because the younger is doing much better on the weight gain front than Sroch did at the same age. And Sarah Rochel did eat well today, having like 6 multi-grain big crackers (the Patit ones - yay for more flavors getting a better hechsure!) and then a big bowl of split pea soup and hot dogs for dinner.

A squawk from Shulama-llama. I go to shh-shh-shh again.

I'm back. Another thing - comparing myself, or ourselves. As in, I never did that with Sarah Rochel, or I always did that with Sarah Rochel, or Yoav used to do that with Sarah Rochel and he doesn't do it with Shulamis, not fair, not fair, living in van down by the river, etc, etc.

And I KNOW better!! I do! I can quote you chapter and verse in "Siblings Without Rivalry," I remember distinctly from my own childhood (hi Micah) that just because two children are from the same parents they do NOT need the same things... But why, why if I am so enlightened do the thoughts even creep into my (currently meager) brain activity??? I need that mental energy for making dinner!!

Okay, okay. End of rant. I think. Thank you for listening.

In other news, I just switched to Google Chrome, their web browser, so you would think blogging would be easier, Blogger being owned by Google and all. Yet so far the Blogger shortcuts aren't working. Hmm. Will see.

.

3 comments:

babybean said...

Well, if your mom is anything like mine... since Brendan was born my mom has made comments like "none of mine did that" or "that was so much like Matthew", etc. So you probably just automatically started thinking that way. And now mine is ready to nurse... lol. Goodnight!

Anonymous said...

We all do it - whether we mean to or not. Jonathan was my "sick" child and therefore had a very easy-going disposition while Yael has rarely even had a cold (thank g-d) but has a serious case of the terrible twos... They are separate individuals and we are reminded of that daily - When Shulamis really begins to show her personality that will be so painfully obvious. And also, you are not the same mother that you were with S'Roch. You (and Yoav and your family) have had many more experiences since then that have defined you as a separate person and mother. Now you are a mother of 2 and that is a whole different ball-game...You will always have to find a way to divide (and conquer) your attention to each child. It will all work out as it should!

Brenda

Anonymous said...

We all do it - whether we mean to or not. Jonathan was my "sick" child and therefore had a very easy-going disposition while Yael has rarely even had a cold (thank g-d) but has a serious case of the terrible twos... They are separate individuals and we are reminded of that daily - When Shulamis really begins to show her personality that will be so painfully obvious. And also, you are not the same mother that you were with S'Roch. You (and Yoav and your family) have had many more experiences since then that have defined you as a separate person and mother. Now you are a mother of 2 and that is a whole different ball-game...You will always have to find a way to divide (and conquer) your attention to each child. It will all work out as it should!

Brenda