Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A momentary aside of political commentary

I just took a moment to watch a bit of the inauguration coverage on CNN's site. I read some of President Obama's (jeepers) comments, but the videos I watched were of the Bushes greeting the Obamas, and the Bushes leaving the White House for the last time.

And I just cried and cried.

How sad... how hard must it be to be George Bush right now? No one likes him. Few are talking about how much he did accomplish. And everyone makes fun of him.

Sure, he may deserve much of that. But the point is - he tried. He may not have succeeded well in all ways at all times, but he tried really, really hard.

And now it's all over.

...

I think... I mean... Well, my secret fear for my children is that they will go off to school and nobody will play with them, because I as the parent am totally powerless to do anything about that. If someone were to make fun of my child, insult my child? I would simultaneously be murderously outraged and also shrivel like a shrivelfig, because... how can I fight that!?

And so my heart went out to old George W, who nobody wants to play with anymore.



Sure wish he had pardoned Jonathan Pollard, though. Boogerhead.

.

5 comments:

Faye said...

so you don't want people to make fun of him, but you think he is a boogerhead. The ways of the Miriam are strange. I was hoping for a pardon as well.

Miriam the Mommy said...

Attend my words - I said everyone was making fun of him, but I also said he deserved some of that. And 'boogerhead' isn't making fun - it's insulting him. Very different.

Debbie said...

I cant vouch for George but if I were him, I would be giggling all the way to Texas at the thought of Mr. Hussein Obama trying to meddle out the nation's problems. something tells me things look mighty different from the other side of the oval office desk.
If I were George, I would happily hand over the reins- have fuuuuunnnn barack hussein!! dont call me if you need anything!!!

babybean said...

The worst thing that happened during this last presidency is that no one respects presidents now. No longer are there things you just don't say about a president. A friend of ours attended the inauguration and said that when Air Force One took off with the Bushes the crowd sang "Na, na, na-na, hey, hey, hey, goodbye". That makes me sick.

Miriam the Mommy said...

Jennifer, that's because we were raised well. I think only in the last say 5 years has my mother stopped calling any president 'Mr', you know?