Sunday, November 21, 2010

Ledor vador

Tonight (well, it wasn't nighttime yet - but it certainly was dark) in the park Sroch was singing a song they are learning in school for her Chanuka party (she tried to teach it to me too, which was adorable - first telling me the words, then having me say them with her, then trying to get me to say them alone, then she told me to add the music - except, alas, I've never heard this song before in my life).

She sang it over and over. Something about lighting a candle in my heart (this is all in Hebrew), that the light will go on "le dor va dor."

I must have asked something about it, and so she began to explain, that it was about lighting a candle, in your heart, and then the postman delivers the mail.

The postman delivers the mail?

Of course. "Le dor va dor" - he delivers from DOOR to DOOR!

I couldn't help but laugh a tremendous, giggly, shepping nachas laugh. I then tried to explain that in English, "door" means an aperture, and in Hebrew, it's a generation.

But she maintained the song was about the postman.

.

4 comments:

tzipporah m said...

Haha I laughed out loud! Hey maybe it is about a postman..you never know, probably a chosev one no less

Anonymous said...

Laugh out loud moment. Love Mom Lavitt see you in Dec. I hope

brenda said...

Too cute. Just wait till she figures out that Hebrew mail is the DOAR. That's where my thoughts went first.

Anonymous said...

I laughed out loud too. Thanks for sharing. Glad you got to laugh too. - Michelle