Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Children = way closer to God than adults

On the way home from the dentist last week, Llam and Sroch both wanted to sit in the stroller. Finally when Llama got up, Sroch grabbed it - and Llama had a fit. After a couple moments, Sroch got up and let Llama sit down. She then whispered in my ear:

"I did it because I want an extra mitzvah on my moznaim (scales)."

Wow. Nice education, gannenets!

So couple days later, when we're getting home from gan, I go pick up the mail and Sroch, totally educated and tuned into just about every aspect of Rosh Hashana by now, starts to holler, "Mommy, there's a maatafa, (envelope), we have to take it and put in tzedaka (charity)!"

Now, thank God, we live in a religious city in Israel. We have people knocking on our door collecting every day or two (or around holidays, several a day), and we get envelopes in the mail all the time. And we never, ever use them (we do recycle!) because we give our charity money to other places that we know and trust, not just any organization that sends us a leaflet (sadly, not all are legit).

Sroch has seen us throw away (um, recycle! Sometimes!) many, many of these. But she will NOT let this one go.

Upstairs we go, she grabs my wallet out of my bag and starts scrounging for cash. She finds 20 agurot (that's about 5 cents). She puts it in and asks for a stamp, and I tell her gently that it will cost far more to mail that than what we are donating.

"How much does it have to be?"

"Um, at least 5 shekel."

"Oh, good, so we need 3 more!"

Well, okay, great math skills for a five year old (5 minus 2 = 3, nice!) except, hmm, lack of comprehension that 5 10-agurot coins don't make 5 shekel, but nu nu.

"Sorry Sroch, I don't have any money."

"WHY?!"

Um. Long answer. Let's skip it.

"Sorry Sroch, we have to wait until Abba comes home. Maybe he has some money."

"No. We'll just put your credit card in the maatafa."

"Sroch, no, credit cards don't work like that."

"But you use them to pay for things!"

Um. Shoot. Am I allowed to drop the I'll-tell-you-when-you're-older?

"Sorry, no."

WAAH!!! WAAH!!!! "But we HAVE to!!"

Fortunately, God loves me and I recall that outdated system called 'checks,' and I offer to write one.

So Sroch helps (she tears it off, then decorates the outside of the checkbook with her backwards Hebrew writing) and I write out a check for 18 shekel. We seal the envelope, and I tell her I'll mail it. I did so too, the next day.


Now, why do I find this story so remarkable?

Remember, gentle reader, this story that I sometimes tell Sroch at bedtime:

Once upon a time there was a man and a lady who were married and very happy, except they were also sad, because they didn't have any kinderlach. And so they davened and davened to Hashem for many years, and so did lots of other people, and then finally Hashem gave them a HUGE bracha of a wonderful little girl they named Sarah Rochel, and they were SO happy and everyone was SO happy for them!

For you see, the tzedaka organization Sroch insisted with all her might on us supporting was Bonei Olam - a Jewish infertility organization.


Like I said, they are a lot closer to God than we are.

.

No comments: