Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Pruning

We chopped off the top of our poplar trees today (well, half done).


The trees were stunning and beautiful and tall and lovely. But they thought they were done growing tall, and so all their energies went elsewhere- specifically, into making little shoots of themselves pop up everywhere in the yard (and threatening under the porch tiles as well).

This, apparently, is a common problem with poplars.

(Of course, I cannot now locate the source I had for trimming off the top in order to halt this problem... oh well. I'm sure I read it on the internet somewhere. And if you read it on the internet, it must be true.)

I could not avoid the comparison, as we worked, with the day I had with the girls.


No, we didn't give them haircuts.

For all their wonderful, well-behavedness, lately we've been having a real problem of Listening. As in, they aren't. I repeat myself over and over and over, and occasionally with Llama, even my growing-fury count of 1-2-3 will sometimes be met with a blank stare. Argh.

And so I am trying to analyze what needs to be changed, what needs to be worked on in my parenting, because this is so totally not cool - and frankly, it's sprouting all over the place.

In my offence, much of this may be because I'm telling them to hurry so much of the time, and as we all know, telling a child to hurry is a sure way to have them stand stock still. I realized that I've been saying the words "come on, it's really late" multiple times each morning AND each bedtime. That's a nasty weed that needs to be taken care of too.

I asked Sroch for ideas on how we could help with this problem (I asked Llama too, but she just wanted to cuddle). She said she thinks the problem in the mornings is that I am sleeping too late and I need to wake up before them and get ready and then wake them up, and that "Abba gets up early and we don't have a problem with him."

Ouch. I do believe I've been pruned back meself.

So we'll give it a try. Gulp. Parenting: not for people who like to sleep late. I'm getting it, I'm getting it.


No comments: