Tuesday, July 15, 2014

War blog

There is one God, he controls everything in the universe, and he is actively controlling every moment of our lives in a million ways.

I will not take mysteriously unexploded bombs for granted.
I will not take rockets that fall in "open areas" for granted.
I will not take living in a time of God's open miracles for granted.
I will not take my daughters' lack of fear for granted.
I will not take the fact that I, descendant of thousands of years of disapora Jewry, live in the land God himself designated for my people, for granted.
I will not take the merit of the prayers of my great great great great (etc) grandparents that their children should see the land of Israel for granted.

So far this summer my land has been on fire - forest fires, dissension and frantic searching.
Then my land wept - tears of sorrow, pain, but tears in unity.
And now my land is huddling under the capable hand of God who is flicking away rockets like so many pesky mosquitoes, huddling in a protective embrace that is loose enough for us to stand tall and laugh and for heaven's sake take selfies (!) while we bask in his protection.

Have there been some harmed? There have. Has there been damage? There has. Are some people afraid? Indeed.

My prayer is for the soldiers, the citizens and any innocent who does not wish me harm. Because.... is there danger?

There is, of course, danger. I am not so brash as to believe my merits are sufficient to save me suffering in this world. I am not so foolish as to think I am absolved from my work in the world - to pray, to seek shelter, to vote, to effect change.

But this does not lessen the mightiness of God. On the contrary, it only reinforces how everything that happens is utterly in his laser-accurate control - reprieve and direct hit alike.

There is one God, he controls everything in the universe, and he is actively controlling every moment of our lives in a million ways.

No comments: